Boost Your International Sales on eBay and Amazon. Click to learn more.
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Meg Whitman vs. Tim Cook by the Numbers

Re: Meg Whitman vs. Tim Cook by the Numbers
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2012-03-26 11:10:40
See Full Story

Last week was an interesting week. Apple announced what appears to be a penis iron in the new iPad, and folks are burning through their monthly 4G data plans in a few hours. Tim's having his first Antennagate moment, and Steve Jobs he isn't. On the other hand, Meg Whitman announced her first major restructuring since taking over HP, and on paper it not only looks impressive, but also is reminiscent of what Carly Fiorina attempted to do in a lot of ways. Whitman appears to have Fiorina's vision and can execute, which bodes well for HP.

Re: Meg Whitman vs. Tim Cook by the Numbers
Posted by: Harmonthe3rd 2012-04-09 17:09:49 In reply to: Rob Enderle
While many of you seem to jump on Rob's case, I would like to point out that this article is an Opinion. Noting more nothing less. Now with that said Rob I question your insight into a subject matter when you compare two CEO on avenues that aren't even in the same city. The iPad 3 is rated a buy by CR and sold more in a week than the iPad 2. Furthermore since the death of Steve Jobs (R.I.P.) APPL has risen $236 as of today. HP while on a rebound has an up hill climb to Everest just to reach mid-level profits while fighting of the same companies as Apple. The only difference is Apple has stock pile of cash to which it can weather some pretty big storms that HP wouldn't survive. It seems to me Rob that you are stuck in the mind set of the old pc vs mac wars, that you must now find another company to assume the attack with. HP not the greatest choice, but let me help you out. Apple vs everyone else As long as you focus on making a company an enemy, that company will always retain the underdog mindset and the majority of Americans always cheers for the underdog. Not you best article but definitively not your worst.

Riiiight
Posted by: ewelch 2012-03-30 11:25:12 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Only this author could come up with such a silly premise. Meg Whitman valuable to HP? The first year was a fiasco. Tim Cook has been invaluable to Apple for more than 10 years, and is considered the top executive in Just In Time manufacturing in the world. And Apple is doing just fine.

Californians dodged a bullet when we rejected Whitman as governor. She would have been worse than the Governator! HP wasn't so lucky.

Why is Rob pressing an iPad up against his crotch in the first place?
Posted by: NedHarwick 2012-03-27 09:25:15 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I am hard pressed to imagine a situation in which my iPad would end up against my penis, regardless of how much heat it generates. Perhaps Mr Enderle does not really understand how to use a "tablet," or is this a typical configuration for PC-users...? (...and they call us the "fanboys"?)

Apple will disappoint eventually
Posted by: jescott418 2012-03-27 04:35:21 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I think eventually Apple will disappoint its followers. While I think Tim Cook can carry on the basics of running a company like Apple. I think Apple has lost its cult leader Steve Jobs. He was the mainstay that had that knack to make creative moves that were right with the consumer. Sometimes engineers and designers do not have that. For example Steve could have easily manipulated and explained away the whole iPad heating issue. People are second guessing Apple's quality already and if that continues we may see consumers look differently at Apple. HP on the other hand has no where to go but up. They make some attractive hardware but many times it does not hold up to scrutiny when tested. Can they improve the real user experience? Time will tell. Let's face it, Apple put itself on a high pedestal for quality so it must accept the fact that it must answer to those who question it. How it does that will determine how well it does in the future.

C'mon Man
Posted by: ndotken 2012-03-27 04:33:44 In reply to: Rob Enderle
The new iPad must be a fantastic product if this is all you can find to complain about.

Pointless Article - Feedback
Posted by: CodeJingle 2012-03-26 22:12:34 In reply to: Rob Enderle
It falls on the carriers that they offer so small a data plan that it gets burned through in just a few days over LTE. And the very latest and greatest tablets out there competing with the new iPad all weigh about the same and heat up about the same as the new iPad does. I fail to see the point of the article, other than it being linkbait.

Wow!
Posted by: mlprice01 2012-03-26 17:17:41 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Dear Mr. Enderle,

Wow!

I'm not sure what to make of your editorial. While I understand that it's an opinion piece, even opinion pieces must be based upon the truth. Correct?

Early on you make it sound as if the 4G plans offered by AT&T and Verizon are peculiar to the iPad. The prices are the same for all of AT&T and Verizon 4G products. The Samsun Galaxy S, a gorgeous phone by the way, will cost you the same $50/month for a paltry 5Gb, and $30/month for an even more paltry 3Gb. I assume other 4G devices will consume data as quickly as the iPad so burning through your monthly allotment isn't an iPad issue. Consequently making this appear to be unique to the iPad is more than a bit disingenuous.

I should think that you'd want to blast AT&T and Verizon for those ludicrous plans.

Perhaps you were thinking that were Steve still with us, he'd have beaten them into submission for lower prices and greater allotments. I don't know.

I agree with you when you refer to the heat rumors about the iPad being Tim Cook's first "Antennagate." Especially if you mean what everyone else does when using the term, i.e. that the issue has been completely blown out of proportion by the insidious echo chamber of tech media.

I think you're right about Meg Whitman. HP couldn't do better right now. They need a big name. She needs a job.

She needs to make sure she gets good people surrounding her. HP needs imagination and more boxes running Windows simply won't do the trick.

They're going to have to break out. They need to put blinders on where Apple is concerned and create exciting, compelling products on their own. I wouldn't be unhappy to see them develop a new version of LINUX, a very clean and simple version that ran across their desktops, laptops, tablets, and other conceivable devices. I'd like to see them develop a homogenous LINUX environment for business and the home. Right now their LINUX offering is targeted at the server room.

Steve Jobs and others at Apple like to say we are in the "Post PC era." We're not. An iPad isn't anything if it isn't a personal computer. It's just a *very* personal computer. What we are entering is the "Post Windows Era." As cloud services evolve and grow, and mobile technology becomes even more powerful, the need to run Windows diminishes. It's diminishing on a day to day basis. If I run my company using Salesforce.com, Windows is irrelevant. What is important is browser compatibility and that browser can run on a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone , any number of Android devices, and even my imagined HP LINUX ecosystem. HP needs to realize this and embrace their ability to pull it off. I think they can.

Be aware that when I say "Post Windows era" I mean post Windows dominance. Windows isn't going anywhere, but it will become just another OS. Windows will have to struggle to remain compatible with the rest of the world instead of the other way around.

People will have choices. IT is changing and focusing on supporting choice due to consumerization. HP needs to heed this as well.

Tim Cook isn't failing. I'll grant you, he doesn't have the magic that Jobs had for product introductions. I personally wish that Apple would discontinue the glitz. It constantly makes people think every product release is going to be revolutionary and this only generates disappointment. Most product releases will be evolutionary. The new iPad is such a product. I don't quite know what "penis iron" means, but maybe if I did I'd do better with the ladies. I just don't think it applies to the new iPad.

The new iPad is the sum of an equation. Super High Resolution Display + Quad Core Graphics + Battery + iSight + 4G. The whole is greater than the sum of those upgrades. The new screen is strangely pleasing. It's a nice upgrade over the iPad 2, but not a revolution. The iPad itself was the revolution. Now, it just gets better.

The new iPad has over 3 million pixels, double the resolution of its ancestors, and just gorgeous to look at. If you care about such things, and many Apple customers do, it's worth the upgrade. Apple was able to bring the "retina display" to the iPad, while maintaining the speed and battery life of the predecessor. That's no small accomplishment. 4G speed is no small boost either. It's way too expensive to use for any length of time, but those prices are not set by Apple. I would personally like to see a column from you blasting the bandwidth cartel for creating artificial bandwidth scarcity and forcing the price up. I for one can't figure out why people hate oil companies more than the AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast cabal.

Calling the new iPad "penis iron," if I understand your meaning, is an unwarranted slur.

Concerning the heat issue. I read their little article and as I recall they clearly stated that the iPad wasn't especially uncomfortable to hold. Yet you say that they claim the iPad could cause burns? Actually they say:

"…The new iPad is safe but close to the 120-degree point at which laptops are too hot and could cause burns if in contact with bare skin for a long period …"

I have a new iPad. Yes, the beefier package does get noticeably warm, but nothing in any way shape for or fashion that makes me think it could ever burn me. I hold the device for hours reading, or for extended periods while gaming, etc. I watched all of American Gangster on it over the weekend. Nothing. No big rush to the hospital. My HP Envy gets a whole heck of a lot warmer. If you put the new iPad in a case, you won't notice it at all.

I notice warmth specifically in the rear lower left hand corner of the device when facing it in portrait mode. The rest of the device doesn't produce noticeable warmth. The heat doesn't feel as warm as a luke warm cup of coffee to me. Perhaps about as warm as a 4 week old puppy.

You might want to read this: http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/03/22/driving.31.million.pixels.a.big.job//

By the way, the WiFi issues amounted to disconnect and reconnect for most people.

Dilbertian
Posted by: ewelch 2012-03-26 16:26:54 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Obviously Technewsworld is a subsidiary of the National Enquirer if they let this kind of ludicrously counter-intuitive writing onto their pages.

It's pathetic that a tech publication does not know just who this Enderle is, and how he biased he is against Apple. (See current nemesis running joke on Dilbert - him being Apple's.)

The only conclusion one can draw is that the publication doesn't care about the facts, or news, but simply getting as many hits as they can.

I can't believe I just paid this guy.
Posted by: Divebus 2012-03-26 16:00:11 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I'm going to contact each of the advertisers on Enderle's page and let them know that I will actively avoid their products and services because they support this absolute drivel. I'll also tell them to retract the nanopennies he just got for the click. Unbelievable. I totally agree with Gruber on this one.

Mine
Posted by: slappy 2012-03-26 15:48:15 In reply to: Rob Enderle
My IRON MONKEY is stronger than his PENIS IRON! lol

Don't Feed The Trolls
Posted by: JamesBrickley 2012-03-26 15:16:54 In reply to: Rob Enderle
This is so clearly a lame attempt to capture a lot of page views. The recipe is very familiar. Compose a clearly biased and completely incorrect article about anything Apple and wait to be charbroiled by the FanBois. Bonus, you bring out the wack jobs in the forums and you make a lot of money on the page views with your advertising agency.

This reply was written on the new "Penis Iron" which is funny because I've had it for weeks and it only gets slightly warm in the lower left corner when held in portrait mode. If it was in a case I wouldn't even have noticed.

I have 4G LTE and I haven't managed to max out the bandwidth because I wasn't stupid enough to perform an iCloud restore over LTE which would have actually worked (unlike AT&T) but also gobbled up a months worth of bandwidth. Nor have I been watching NetFlix over LTE. It is not Apples fault if ignorant reporters with an evaluation iPad w/LTE don't understand what Verizon is selling or how much data they are using. But the iPad will warn you if you are about to run out of bandwidth. At least Apple negotiated a no contract data plan which cannot be said of any other tablet, *cough*, Motorola ZOOM.

Ironically, (ooh I made a pun) the HP laptops we have contribute greatly to keeping our heating bill down. Have to prop some of them up on a stand or the rubber feet melt and they stick to the desk! Not to mention the pitiful battery life when compared to an iPad.

Meanwhile Apple sells 10 million iPads in 3 days and now Angry Birds Space sells just as many copies for a rough pre-tax profit of $20.9 Million! While every other tablet collects dust on the Best Buy shelves.

Tim Cook is doing just fine as CEO, the stock is way up. Sales are way up and he's not getting recalled from a China visit to address roast iPad gate because there is no problem. If there was a heat problem it would have seen a lot more attention by now.

HP has lost their way and Whitman is lost in the dark without a flashlight. Dell is about to get out of the retail PC business and go for corporate and data center sales only. But they still want to compete with Apple on tablets?

Apple is playing like a grandmaster chess champion, thinking 10 moves ahead while the competition is still trying to figure out the last move.

Do you know how much money I made after I bought Apple stock at $9 a share when Jobs first returned? Laughing all the way to retirement baby! PS, I hated Macs until OSX.

Signed, a Unix engineer & developer.

Get it right.
Posted by: cronked 2012-03-26 14:31:38 In reply to: Rob Enderle
"Ironically, the stock market continues to reward Apple and punish HP, which suggests the market remains consistently out of step with reality."

You can't possibly be serious?? Apple just had the biggest quarter of any company EVER that wasn't an oil company. 4th best quarter if you count the oil companies. You think this is suddenly going to come to a halt? HP, on the other hand, is a mess and shows no exterior signs of improvement and little growth.

"...the very high temperature that the iPad operates at, which Consumer Reports says could cause burns if held for a long period"

Again, hogwash. Consumer Reports never said the iPad could cause burns. They said burns could be caused by holding a device that was 120 degrees for long periods of time. The iPad doesn't reach 120 degrees. As it turns out, other tablet devices get as hot as the iPad. This is just plain irresponsible journalism.

Congratulations on compromising your credibility for page views. You should try your hand at midnight infomercials.

Rob, U Need to Work on Your Reading Comprehension
Posted by: MackyMoto 2012-03-26 13:37:01 In reply to: Rob Enderle
If you were actually paying attention to the CR article on the new iPad instead of being an Apple hater, you would have seen that the new iPad is BELOW the 120 degree threshold that could possibly cause burns if used against bare skin for a prolonged period of time. Having that set of facts in mind, do you often use Apple's new "Penis Iron" against your bare skin?

Cook (APPL) vs. Whitman (HP)
Posted by: barry_humphus 2012-03-26 12:49:52 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Mr. Enderle:

My presumption is that Mr. Cook will work out at Apple, Inc. After all, he has been there for a few years and likely knows what he is doing to make Apple successful. While he may not now have the full vision of Mr. Jobs in terms of the products, the design and the "think different" way of Apple, Mr. Jobs would likely not have chosen Mr. Cook to lead this firm had he had any hesitation. While I do not know Mr. Cook, I have certainly had conversations with Mr. Jobs and believe I understood his vision for this firm. That vision has likely been passed on to Mr. Cook.

Ms. Whitman's vision though is a different issue. I believe that she is guiding HP in the same way that the Costa Concordia Captain was guided into the rocks off the Italian coast. Combining the HP printer division with the PC division is a very serious mistake in my view. They are very different, not compatible with each other and this is a serious error on her part in terms of the future of this great and this historic company. Ms. Whitman, I suspect, does not have either the vision of Mr. Jobs nor the vision that Mr. Cook has assumed.

BTW, I am long with APPL, unlike your lack of disclosure in your article regarding Apple and HP. I understand from research that you are an adviser to HP. Be ethical Sir, like I am with my students. Do this every time you report as a good reporter should.

Thank you.

Barry Humphus

Rob, there are meds available for that….
Posted by: RvB 2012-03-26 11:22:06 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Going for the nerd "shock and awe" award of the week, are we?
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS