OpManager: A single console to manage your complete IT infrastructure. Click here for a 30-day free trial.
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: 'BrowserQuest' Shows HTML5 Could Slay Flash

Re: 'BrowserQuest' Shows HTML5 Could Slay Flash
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2012-03-28 14:37:24
See Full Story

The Mozilla Foundation on Wednesday released BrowserQuest, a massively multiplayer online game written in HTML5, Java and other open source languages. "BrowserQuest is a showcase of how open Web technologies like HTML5, JavaScript, CSS and WebSockets can be used to create a multiplayer game that scales up to thousands of users," Christian Heilmann, principal developer evangelist at Mozilla, told TechNewsWorld. "Its main purpose is to prove that the Web is a platform for gaming as much as it is a platform for apps and documents," Heilmann continued.

strange is it 8 bit ?
Posted by: MerinWellson 2012-03-29 03:16:05 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
This graphic out of this game looks like my 1st nintendo 8 bit console.... It is some king a kinder garden project or something ?

Yes. For nowdays gamers this actually looks like some project of 8 years olds, and probably it's costs is more than a few thausends.

I wonder what it would looks like if this sum were paid to a professional Flash/Flex developer.
... Probably something which looks like much like WOW than 8 bit nintendo alike graphics.

HTML5 is never designed to be a multimedia platform, neither it is his primary task.
HTML5 is WEB2 expansion tool, and it shall remain such. It is not designed to be main platform for a large scale multimedia projects, and probably will not be anytime soon.

Flash is the super creative, super productive and super cheap multimedia platform which bringing us the developers imaginations without any compromises.

Most of thoose tryout to build large scales multimedia platforms over HTML5 is by peoples which using the messy situation to express themselfs over someone else.
Anyway they have none clue what is actually standing HTML5 for.
( which is true for the past management of Adobe which cut Flash mobile )

I assume that somewhere into the close future there will be Flash running across all devices which is multimedia oriented, and HTML5 would be very taged with it :)

Long way to go
Posted by: jescott418 2012-03-28 17:24:44 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
I would say they have a long way to go. The screen shots look like something from the 90's.

About time..
Posted by: Kagehi 2012-03-28 14:51:40 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Over a few months, and due, it seems to small changes in Flash, and the addition of one extra task, which I needed, running on my machine, I went from a stable, functioning, not slow, machine, to something that, if I play videos a lot, using Flash, turns Firefox into the digital equivalent of a boat anchor. The alternative Google browser didn't have as much stuff loaded in it, so I tried using it to look at those sorts of things, and.. then it started crashing. All Flash seems to do is be slow, take up more memory than needed, and add one more layer of complication between what I am trying to look at, and the machine it needs to play on, while playing poorly with the browsers it is installed in. In this case, it means hoping that if I shut down Firefox, it hasn't got so fowled that it a) doesn't actually shut down, and I have to ctrl-alt-del to kill the now processor hogging process, just so I can start it again, b) forget what pages I had open (rare, but it has happened, and an incomplete session has reloaded, sometime with the page I just killed, which caused the problem), or c) and this one really bugs me, locks up, freezes, crashes, etc., so that now, if the video I am trying to look at is say on how to clear a level in a game, I can't either watch the video **or** get back to the game from the browser, do to all the stuff going on in the background, while the Flash plugin trashes around trying to do something.

Mind, old machine, single core, XP, so limited memory, but still.. WTF changes in the last 6-8 months that made it so useless, and why is it that *everyone* is having these kinds of problems, even with clean installs? Answer - Its always been a hog, it doesn't play well with others, its actually gotten worse, in some ways, since its running in a plugin container, instead of the browser (sure, the browser doesn't crash any more, but now Flash runs a bit like a brick flies...), and everyone **has to** use the bloody thing, even when all it does is add things to the page that can/will break for many people.

RIP, as far as I am concerned.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS