Showcase Your Business as a Thought Leader » Publish Your Blog, Videos and Events on ALL EC » Save 25% Now
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Doesn't add up

Re: Analyst: Xbox 360 Best of Show at E3
Posted by: Walaika Haskins 2008-07-17 10:47:55
See Full Story

This week's E3 Media and Business Summit in Los Angeles gave each major console maker -- Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo -- the chance to showcase the future of their platforms. Microsoft added social functions and new entertainment options to the Xbox 360, Sony trumpeted a video store and an upcoming price cut for the PlayStation 3, and Nintendo showed gamers glimpses of a new controller add-on and upcoming games like "Wii Sports Resort." However, if any of the Big 3 could be said to have "won" E3 this year, then Microsoft takes the top prize, according Yankee Group's Mike Goodman.

shill
Posted by: melackspace 2008-07-17 17:09:07 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
responses to be found here:

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/04/18/yankee-group-microsoft-shill/

or here:

http://boycottnovell.com/index.php?s=Yankee+Group

http://blogs.vmware.com/virtualreality/2008/04/yankee-group-re.html

Actually....
Posted by: scrybe74 2008-07-17 15:52:30 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
...to clarify on the Netflix deal. There is NO additional charge for streaming the netflix library of movies if you are already a member of netflix and have a xbox live gold membership. I happen to already have both so it's a bonus for me...in fact I can cut down my snail mail subscription once the streaming begins. That was the biggest news for me. The other stuff was so-so. I'm glad that they are redesigning the interface...didn't care too much for the current one. Intrigued by the 'prime time' idea of playing in a gameshow against live participants. Other than the software releases no one really got me too excited. I give the win to M$ based on the software releases for the upcoming holiday season and the netflix deal. But not by much.

Microsoft Xbox 360... Yawn!
Posted by: RudyCharisma 2008-07-17 13:58:42 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
Microsoft... Who cares? What's for dinner?

wow
Posted by: Erocker 2008-07-17 13:33:56 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
must be a 360 fan boy, haha i think its funny as hell, just shows you another way M$ is trying to squeeze as much $ as they can out of the public, most people have known for a while that if you have a pc with Win Vista, then you can already stream Netflix to your Xbox without having to pay twice for it. funny they didnt metion that part. but M$ stance is, well yeah we could offer the service for free, but why? when we can charge them twice! so ya M$ won the minds of little tards like mike. Sony - free online sevice. that wins in my book.

Microsoft Really
Posted by: ferrari20092 2008-07-17 13:03:24 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
I would have to disagree, all microsoft did was show a few updates for xbox that will please only the people who already own them, and some mediocre games coming to Xbox, I was really sold by sony, they did a great job, showed lots of things being added to the PS3, and lots of Awesome looking PS3 exclusive games and content. Because of their performance at E3 I am considering buying a PS3 now. I really feel Microsoft showed more way to try and compete with the wii if anything. They should stick to the audience they already have.

Doesn't add up
Posted by: JesseCherry 2008-07-17 10:58:43 In reply to: Walaika Haskins
Really, it doesn't matter who wins E3, but by no way did Microsoft come with a bevy of innovation. The conference wasn't bad, about on par with Sony. Most of the games that Microsoft showed are games that are coming out this year that we already knew about, plus most were 3rd party titles showing up on the PS3. The new interface and avatars for the Xbox live brought nothing new to the table. Yes, the game show idea is something new and exciting, but the rest of the redesign changed nothing, just the way to navigate. Mike, when you dismiss Sony for just reconfirming what we know try to make sure that same point doesn't apply to the company you are touting as the winner.
Jump to:
Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads