Content Marketers » Publish Your Business Blog, Videos and Events on ALL EC » Save 25% Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide

E-Commerce Times Talkback

ECT News Community   »   E-Commerce Times Talkback   »   Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?

Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?
Posted by onsite on 2003-04-17 23:14:04
In reply to Tiernan Ray
Having worked with both Dell and Gateway machines and customers for a number of years, I have seen a definite divide between the way each company does business. Dell machines have become more dependable over the years, while gateway PCs are becoming less and less reliable as premium prices are charged for generic off-brand components. The biggest difference, though, is in the area of customer service. If you drop your laptop and break it, Dell replaces it. No hassle, no questions. Gateway, on the other hand, has become notorious for giving customers the run-around on their "in-home" service that is supposed to be included in the warranty. I had one customer that was outraged because he had paid for "in-home" service, and Gateway shipped him a replacement modem card and called him to talk him through the repair! That is absolutely stupid. You can't compete with anyone when you treat your customers like that. I generally tell my customers to avoid Gateway at any cost, when several years ago I would recommend them. You can look at the stats and trends and formulate a few good causes for Dell's rise and Gateway's decline, but just talk to the end users and the real reasons become crystal clear. If the customers aren't happy, they will buy from someone else. Period.

* Topic  Author  Date
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  Tiernan Ray  2003-02-04 07:50:52
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  onsite  2003-04-17 23:14:04
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  TonyMarie  2003-02-05 08:48:59
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  doitman  2003-02-05 05:24:07
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  artagel  2003-02-04 17:57:02
Re: Why Is Dell Up and Gateway Down?  JuggerNaut  2003-02-04 07:53:14
Jump to:
Your Name: [modify]
* Subject: [edit]
Choose Icon:

Submissions containing gratuitous promotions or advertisements
will not be posted. [Message Board and Community Rules]

* Comments:

Notify me by e-mail when someone responds to my post.

When using a search engine, how often do you look beyond the first page of results?
Never -- There's always enough information on the first page to meet my needs.
Rarely -- There's usually enough on the first page, but sometimes I want to see more.
Occasionally -- If there are too many paid-for results, or if I don't find an answer on the first page.
Often -- Even if there's enough information on the first page, I like to know what else is available.
Always -- First page search results are rigged; I don't want to be limited to what an algorithm highlights.