B2B Marketers » Reach Pre-Qualified IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Gen Program » Get Details
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Guess I'm still a geek

Guess I'm still a geek
Posted by X-Nc on 2010-11-14 21:59:34
In reply to Katherine Noyes
With respect to the list of ten. . .

10. "You have more pairs of shoes than hard drives..."

One pair of shoes and over a dozen HDs.

9. "... and you have clothes to match all those shoes..."

Even with just one pair I don't have clothes to match them.

8. "... and you don't mismatch them 'to be different.'"

Heh, no choice about matching.

7. "You haven't compiled a kernel in years because the stock kernel is 'good enough.'"

Ok, I haven't compiled a kernel in many years but that's more out of laziness than anything else.

6. "You'll upgrade your distro ... some day ... whatever ... because there's more important things in life."

There is only one thing more important in life for me and that's my son.

5. "You no longer turn older machines into file servers 'because you can.'"

How many file servers does one need? I got two but only because the other boxes died and I can't afford to replace them.

4. "You have a Wii instead of a Playstation or XBox."

I have a Wii, PS2 and PS3.

3. "You've never played WoW, Starcraft or any other MMORPG..."

Ok, here's another one I fit. I don't like playing MMORPGs but that's only because I prefer single player FPS games.

2. "... and you don't care."

I do care, though. Even though I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs I still feel like I'm missing something not playing WoW.

1. "You'd rather someone gave you a box of chocolates than a new bootable distro on a usb stick."

Ha! Not even close.

And for a bonus:

0. "You think the nicknames that people give to new releases are both childish and cheesy."

I do think that the distro names are kind of inane, but then they are supposed to be anyway.

I'm afraid that, even after 48 years and techie burnout, I'm still a geek. It's genetic.

Joe

* Topic  Author  Date
Re: Deep Thoughts on Being a Geek  Katherine Noyes  2010-11-14 21:49:43
Guess I'm still a geek  X-Nc  2010-11-14 21:59:34
Jump to:
Your Name: [modify]
* Subject: [edit]
Choose Icon:

Submissions containing gratuitous promotions or advertisements
will not be posted. [Message Board and Community Rules]

* Comments:

Notify me by e-mail when someone responds to my post.

When using a search engine, how often do you look beyond the first page of results?
Never -- There's always enough information on the first page to meet my needs.
Rarely -- There's usually enough on the first page, but sometimes I want to see more.
Occasionally -- If there are too many paid-for results, or if I don't find an answer on the first page.
Often -- Even if there's enough information on the first page, I like to know what else is available.
Always -- First page search results are rigged; I don't want to be limited to what an algorithm highlights.