Showcase Your Business as a Thought Leader - Publish Your Blog, Videos and Events on ALL EC - Save 25% Now
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: P2P WiFi Plan Challenges ISP Dominance

Re: P2P WiFi Plan Challenges ISP Dominance
Posted by: David Jones 2017-12-20 21:01:50
See Full Story

Open Garden has announced the launch of a new peer-to-peer service that allows users to share Internet connections and unused plan data for free, with compensation in a new Ethereum cryptocurrency as an extra incentive. The company is offering the service through an app that can be downloaded from Google Play. The system requires no hardware other than an Android phone to participate in the Internet access sharing. The typical customer will used the service for sharing a home or small business Internet service, or to connect with neighbors.

Posted by: bugmenot 2018-01-12 22:08:30 In reply to: David Jones
Itís a very sad testament that Internet rates and lack of competition are so deplorable in the US that something like this is even necessary.

I look forward to the day that the average residential router can support/participate in a mesh network that renders Comcast et al obsolete, or at least greatly diminished.

Posted by: FionaOHanlon 2017-12-23 15:19:56 In reply to: David Jones
Distributed networks are the future, the virtual monopolization of "owned" networks is an affront to democracy on-line, in virtual space but also to a global democracy. I would hope everyone reading this informative but terse article would join Open Garden immediately, as I did.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
What role will technology play in the upcoming U.S. midterm elections?
Advanced security measures will protect the legitimacy of the elections.
Inadequate security will place the election process at grave risk.
Voter technology is so decentralized, attackers can't have much impact.
Companies that manufacture voting machines need to shore up their security.
The upcoming midterms will be no better or worse than others from a tech standpoint.