Content Marketers » Publish Your Business Blog, Videos and Events on ALL EC » Save 25% Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: GeckoLinux: A Polished Distro Just Got Smoother

Re: GeckoLinux: A Polished Distro Just Got Smoother
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2018-01-11 05:52:02
See Full Story

GeckoLinux offers both seasoned users and new distro adopters an easy way to try an openSuse-based spin loaded with features and an ample inventory of the leading Linux desktops. The developer released a major update of GeckoLinux earlier this week. I enjoyed testing the beta version last fall, and I was even more pleased with the added embellishments packed into this final version. Among the attractions of GeckoLinux are its innovations within the openSuse community. These include non-free packages not found in openSuse's default repositories.

Posted by: techmedixx 2018-12-09 00:29:30 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
GeckoLinux is a nice distribution and I tested it with Cinnamon and Plasma. The Cinnamon desktop was responsive and I encountered no issues. The default theme used wasn't what I would choose but that is easily changed.

I use openSUSE Krypton on one of my systems and I think it has the edge when it comes to Plasma. Of course, Krypton has KDE's latest. GeckoLinux had an older release installed but wanted to update once installed.

The theming of Plasma was not as nice as openSUSE's and nothing really stood out. I was impressed with its performance and overall polish so I will certainly be keeping an eye on GeckoLInux.

I plan on testing GeckoLinux with Budgie. I think that may be a combination that could work very well. I was impressed with Ubuntu Budgie and GeckoLinux Budgie sounds intriguing.

GeckoLinux has improved since the last time I checked it out so I am curious to see if that trend continues.

YaST is always great and I was glad it was included because I did encounter issues with Discover. Also, some of the themes failed to install or encountered problems that caused the download to abort.

I did not try to find out why since I was only testing.

There is a lot to like about GeckoLinux but nothing compelling enough to cause me to jump ship and leave Krypton.

In addition to Krypton, I use LMDE3, KDE Neon, and Deepin 15.8.

Right now Deepin 15.8 is my main daily driver and I am just too enamored with it right now to even consider a change.

Posted by: jymm 2018-01-15 04:13:09 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Although I am a Debian Ubuntu guy I downloaded this OS and burnt it to a USB Drive. I was pretty impressed with the Distro and it included persistence by default which is nice. I have to do a little more study on the package management, but it seems like a very good and easy to use disto.

Posted by: sb56637 2018-01-11 05:55:09 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Hi Jack, thanks a lot for the positive comments and for the coverage, it's always appreciated!

I should clarify that the GeckoLinux Rolling releases based on openSUSE Tumbleweed haven't been updated yet using the new Kiwi build method. That's why they still require the login password on the live session. Once I work out the bugs and polish the images using Kiwi I'll release them, hopefully sometime this month.

Cheers.
Jump to:
Where do you most often get your news online?
High-profile blogs
Local newspaper websites
Major newspaper and magazine websites
News aggregator websites
Online-only news and magazine websites
Social networks
TV network/program websites