Attention B2B Marketers: Access 30 Million IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Generation Program Click to Learn More!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Skype Comes to Linux in a Snap

Re: Skype Comes to Linux in a Snap
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2018-02-02 14:53:17
See Full Story

Canonical has announced the availability of Skype as a Snap file, the universal Linux app packaging format. The release means that Skype can deliver its communication service to a wider range of Linux users, not just those who run Canonical's Ubuntu Linux distribution. Skype, a Microsoft product, is an application that lets users make video and voice calls, and send files, video and instant messages. Skype-to-Skype calls are free anywhere in the world. Premium features like voicemail, or calls to landlines and cellphones carry a cost.

Re: Skype Comes to Linux in a Snap
Posted by: cheasully 2018-02-05 17:11:08 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
In the article it states that, 'There is the added benefit of security. The installations are more secure. They are sandboxed using container protocols,...' I just tried installing Skype on Solus linux via snaps, and got this message, "sudo snap install skype
error: This revision of snap "skype" was published using classic confinement and thus may perform arbitrary system changes outside of the security sandbox that snaps are usually confined to, which may put your system at risk. If you understand and want to proceed repeat the command including --classic." Cheers.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
If the FAA approved the use of autonomous drones as passenger "air taxis" for short commutes, how interested would you be in riding in them?
Very -- too much of my life is wasted in clogged traffic.
Not interested -- even if they were safe, they would be ridiculously expensive.
I'm looking forward to them -- smart machines will save human lives.
I'm skeptical -- but if they proved reasonably safe, I'd get on board.
I'd use them -- human pilots could take over remotely if necessary.
No way -- I would want a human on board to take over in an emergency.
Content Marketing on ALL EC