Attention B2B Marketers: Access 30 Million IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Generation Program Click to Learn More!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Kudos to Namib Linux for Making Arch Approachable

Re: Kudos to Namib Linux for Making Arch Approachable
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2018-02-13 06:01:06
See Full Story

Namib is an ideal Linux distro for anyone who wants to ease into the Arch approach to computing. Namib is a newcomer -- the third and current release arrived late last year. However, it makes up for its lack of age by its performance. Namib makes Arch simple. Surprisingly very user-friendly as well as compatible with older computers, Namib also is very stable. Since Namib is based on the Arch philosophy, it uses rolling releases so you do not have to reinstall the entire operating system every time a major update occurs.

Posted by: gregzeng 2018-07-11 23:47:56 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
Other reviews at:

(1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py1kZQaXRtM
"Namib GNU/Linux 1806 GNOME", by "DistroTube". 25 mins 36 secs.

(2) https://www.linux.com/learn/intro-to-linux/2018/2/namib-linux-makes-arch-linux-dream-new-users#comment-20641
"Namib Linux Makes Arch Linux a Dream for New Users", by JACK WALLEN, MARCH 2, 2018

Reviews might claim New Zealand as the origin of the distro. It is in fact CANADA.
Will now install the MATE version.

Posted by: commonsourcecs 2018-03-04 11:31:18 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
The article fails to mention a few very important things.
First - this project appears to have rebranded outdated versions of manjaro tools (and even the new website mockup) and rebranded them.
It seems like they did a "search and replace" over the code - very likely a breach of license.
Further, they use a coinhive script to actively use installations on end-users machines to mine crypto currency, "instead of showing ads".
In short, I am suprised at this article and its advertisement for such a shady project.

Posted by: jackmgerm 2018-03-08 22:12:19 In reply to: commonsourcecs
Thank you for expressing your concerns about the developer issues you cited about my review of Namib. First, please understand that my role in writing this review has nothing to do with advertising or positioning favorable comments about this Linux distro or any other software or hardware product. I select Linux distros for review based on their relevance and potential interest and usefulness. The developers do not know about the topic of a review until it is published.

That said, I contacted the developer team and asked for a response to the issues you raised. I received an unsigned email from the Namib account that provided some clarity to your concerns.

Here is a summary of that response:

1. The Manjaro tools are not outdated but are modified compatibility with Arch. The Namib website is based on an old Manjaro website design never made active that now serves as a mockup posted on github here [https://github.com/manjaro/homepage].

2) The developer does place a coinhive script in the OS. That was done to raise revenue instead of selling advertising.

However, that script is disabled by default and is currently not working. Namib users can choose to use it or not.

Posted by: commonsourcecs 2018-03-05 10:20:47 In reply to: commonsourcecs
I cannot edit the above post, but the second to last line is misleading. The Namib Linux forums openly state that the online resources for namib utilize cryptomining to 'support the site'.
Up to now, no one has tested the installed distro itself for similar activity.

Posted by: maclion 2018-02-14 16:59:43 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
wondering if you have any basic thoughts on how namib compares to antergos or manjaro.
thanks.

Posted by: jackmgerm 2018-02-15 19:28:32 In reply to: maclion
Generally, Antergoss and Manjaro share many similarities as easier to use Arch-based distros. They both are somewhat successful in making Arch simpler to install and use. I think Manjaro more closely resembles the ease of Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Manjaro is still balky to install and sometimes gives me troubled performance. I find that Antergos is much smoother in its processes.

That said, Namib seems to have built into its Arch base an even easier and less intimidating -- and more successful installation process. It just has a friendlier feel and is more inviting to new adopters without a solid background in using all things Arch.

However, a big drawback with Namib for new users that I did not mention in my review is the lack of much forum activity and helpful user support. Heck, I could not even get the user guide to download, and the community does not let you read it online.

Posted by: jmdennis 2018-02-14 18:38:49 In reply to: maclion
I was wondering the same thing as well. One thing I would love to know is doing all these updates what does it do with the pacnew files. Does it change these on its own or like arch based distributions is the user responsible for this and also the screwing up the system when these are changed which I have done numerous times before.

Posted by: jackmgerm 2018-02-15 19:30:53 In reply to: jmdennis
The Namib distro is still hooked to the hip of Arch Linux. So you must be careful with the pacnew files as with any Arch environment. Namib is still prone to issues that can easily mess up the system. I did not think this was a concern at first. But the more I use it, the more chances exist for something going wrong.
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
Freshsales - HiveXchange
What do you think of commercial spaceflight?
It's the best hope for advancing space exploration.
It's little more than a hobby for billionaires.
It will result in highly profitable new industries, like space mining.
It will dramatically increase space junk and pollution.
It will offer the opportunity to establish a new way of life in space colonies.
It should be heavily regulated by governments.