B2B Marketers » Reach Pre-Qualified IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Gen Program » Get Details
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide

LinuxInsider Talkback

ECT News Community   »   LinuxInsider Talkback   »   Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook

Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook
Posted by THX-1138 on 2018-10-27 14:26:28
In reply to Jack M. Germain
I think some things need clarification in this article.

I think it needs to be clear that Chrome OS is Linux. It runs a Linux kernel, so running Linux software has been possible for a long time for competent users. Chrome OS has a shell called 'crosh' with a few Linux tools, to get the most from it, the computer needs to be put into 'developer mode'. But that does compromise the security model that the creators of the platform would like to keep users in. From 'crosh' in developer mode a full Linux 'shell' can be launched, using Chromebrew, extra Linux packages can be installed.

Crouton also runs in 'developer mode', but it is NOT an OS! Crouton is a 'chroot' environment which allows a Debian (or Ubuntu etc) filesystem to work with the existing Chrome OS Linux kernel.

But when Google released Android support it was via a sandboxed container rather than the older method described. It made sense to allow Linux to also run in a similar way, it would give advanced users the Linux apps they wanted and not have to use Crouton and compromise the security model. It's also a bit ironic that Google wasn't able to eat it's own dog food, relying on 3rd party distros for in-house development.

I'd also note to anyone wanting to get the most from a Chromebook in terms of Linux and Android apps, to get one with 64GB storage, a MicroSD slot and a touchscreen, preferably with the flip or hybrid tablet form factor. I did that and I've got everything I'd run on Linux and more, plus big 1GB Android games etc and I still have almost 40GB free, everything else is on a 128GB MicroSD or my Pi server.

* Topic  Author  Date
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  Jack M. Germain  2018-10-26 07:52:48
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  braymundo  2018-11-15 10:07:46
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  jackmgerm  2018-11-15 17:23:37
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  braymundo  2018-11-16 07:56:17
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  DennyL  2018-10-27 15:58:10
Re: Another Milestone Achieved: Run Linux Apps on a Chromebook  THX-1138  2018-10-27 14:26:28
Jump to:
Your Name: [modify]
* Subject: [edit]
Choose Icon:

Submissions containing gratuitous promotions or advertisements
will not be posted. [Message Board and Community Rules]

* Comments:

Notify me by e-mail when someone responds to my post.

How much are you willing to pay for a new smartphone?
I'll pay $1.5K or more for the latest iPhone or Galaxy flagship phone.
I want the latest model, but I can't see paying more than $1K for a phone.
I'm content to buy a slightly older model in the $500 - $750 range.
I don't need an iPhone or Galaxy. I can find a really good phone for $350 or less.
Phone prices are ridiculous. I won't pay more than $100.
I don't have or want a smartphone.