B2B Marketers » Reach Pre-Qualified IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Gen Program » Get Details
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com
Salesforce Commerce Solution Guide

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   How is Michael Dell like Steve Jobs?

How is Michael Dell like Steve Jobs?
Posted by jsepeta on 2011-07-11 14:00:04
In reply to Rob Enderle
I don't see how Dell is anything like Apple: they make cheap pc's for the windows market, abandon Linux at the first opportunity, and have decent sales of pc's servers and networking gear to the enterprise market but only their pc's have made a dent in the consumer space. Versus Apple, who have explosive profits due to (overcharging for) their innovative, attractively-designed, market-leading notebooks and (extremely) overpriced desktop computers. Apple's phones and music players and tablets dominate in the marketplace; do you know anyone with a Dell Streak?

Since Michael Dell challenged Apple to sell their stock back to their customers, Apple has turned around to be a dominant player in consumer electronics, including some middling share of computer sales (bigger than HP, the largest pc seller, and thus bigger than Dell). Meanwhile Dell's stock has not shot up over $350 - it's currently $16.65. So your comparison doesn't hold up at all.

* Topic  Author  Date
Re: Dell's Lesson for RIM and MS: Do It Steve Jobs' Way  Rob Enderle  2011-07-04 06:12:54
How is Michael Dell like Steve Jobs?  jsepeta  2011-07-11 14:00:04
Praise of Steve Jobs  ama-at  2011-07-04 15:03:42
Jump to:
Your Name: [modify]
* Subject: [edit]
Choose Icon:

Submissions containing gratuitous promotions or advertisements
will not be posted. [Message Board and Community Rules]

* Comments:

Notify me by e-mail when someone responds to my post.

When using a search engine, how often do you look beyond the first page of results?
Never -- There's always enough information on the first page to meet my needs.
Rarely -- There's usually enough on the first page, but sometimes I want to see more.
Occasionally -- If there are too many paid-for results, or if I don't find an answer on the first page.
Often -- Even if there's enough information on the first page, I like to know what else is available.
Always -- First page search results are rigged; I don't want to be limited to what an algorithm highlights.