Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   The problems with video. The benefits of virtual.

Re: Why Video Conferencing Sucks
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2011-08-16 13:45:57
See Full Story

I've been covering video conferencing (now often called "telepresence") products since the late 80s and saw my first offering in the mid-60s as a child at Disneyland. Over the years, product wave after product wave has come to market with the promise of the next big thing in telecommunications only to fail to meet even reasonable expectations for deployment in a market where users are measured in billions. Andy Grove, one of the smartest people I've ever met, referred to Intel's axed video conferencing effort as his biggest mistake while running that company.

Video conferencing
Posted by: Steve001 2016-04-06 06:16:38 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Who said Video conferencing sucks? Video conferencing is such a great technology for businesses for conducting online meetings. Tools like R-HUB desktop video conferencing servers http://www.rhubcom.com/v5/video-conferencing.html helps businesses in reduced travel costs, improved client communication, increased productivity etc.

The problems with video. The benefits of virtual.
Posted by: Reginald_Best 2011-08-23 13:16:29 In reply to: Rob Enderle
This is a very interesting post, Rob. Iíll give the disclaimer up front that I am the President and COO of a virtual environment software provider. I agree with many of the points you make in your article--most notably that people get uncomfortable when they have a camera in their face. Have you ever been at a function, business or personal, and someone rushes up to you with a video camera and asks you to say something? Most people get uneasy and outright flustered. Letís face it, live video can be intimidating.

We have found that when you use a virtual environment for meetings, training, and other business activities, the engagement level, and concomitantly, the productivity level, is much higher. Take away the worry that your tie is crooked, make-up is smeared, people are staring at your wrinkled shirt, etc., and you clearly have more engaged participants who are focused on the conversation or task at hand.

In 2009 I wrote in detail about many of the same issue your bring up (http://blog.protonmedia.com/2009/10/telepresence-and-live-video-from.html). Even with all of the issues I discussed in my post, I didnít think that two years later I would be reading that people prefer airline travel to video conferencing. Thatís a big indicator of the current state video conferencing.

Reginald Best

Thoughts from LifeSize
Posted by: MHelmbrecht 2011-08-22 09:45:09 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Rob, I think you have a lot of valid points when it comes to the big telepresence suites on the market. I agree that paying more than $500K for a system that cannot interoperate with other solutions is less than ideal. For that kind of money, you should be able to speak to anyone, anywhere, at any time. LifeSize has continued to strive for interoperability with other systems (Skype, Microsoft OCS, Avaya, Polycom, Cisco and others) - and do so at a price point thatís a fraction of our competitors. We believe that if you call your solutions ďunifiedĒ, you should stand behind that claim. We aim to create products for a range of use cases Ė from the desktop, to the mobile device, to the conference room and yes, even telepresence suites, without complexity or a hefty price tag. - M. Helmbrecht, VP, LifeSize
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.
Contact Center AI Explained by Pop Culture
Contact Center AI Explained by Pop Culture