Content Marketers » Publish Your Business Blog, Videos and Events on ALL EC » Save 25% Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Canada Feds Rule Song Swapping Legal

Re: Canada Feds Rule Song Swapping Legal
Posted by Canadain on 2004-04-01 14:00:10
In reply to Gene J. Koprowski
Comparisons may be drawn between Canada and the United States. Canada did not go to war with Viet Nam, nor for that matter did it join the United States in its fruitless search for weapons of mass destruction. If American were wanted to go on a scavenger hunt for such weapons, there was no need to leave home to find them.
I suggest that this article in its rush to judge ignores important aspects of Canadian copyright law - Section 80(1) of the Copyright Act for one. Copying an audio recording for private is permissible. Because of section 80(1) of the Copyright Act, copyright infringement regarding P2P in Canada is about uploading, not downloading.
With the statute in mind, the issue question becomes what is distribution and does P2P fit the bill. Canada's Supreme Court has recently given the answer to the first question. Setting up the facilities that allow copying does not amount to authorizing copyright infringement. To understand why, see the Court's decision in CCH Canadian Ltd. v. Law Society of Upper Canada, which is available online at http://www.lexum.umontreal.ca/csc-scc/en/rec/html/2004scc013.wpd.html. The answer to the second question found in Canadian Recording Industry Association decision is that for P2P to amount to distribution, there must be a positive act by the owner of the shared directory, such as sending out the copies or advertising that they are available for copying. The author might dispute the Federal Court's view that distribution involves a positive act or might simply calling for legislative reform, but before the call for legislative reform is shouted too loudly, consider this. Felix Oberholzer of the Harvard Business School and Koleman Strumpf of UNC Chapel Hill have found that "Downloads have an effect on sales which is statistically indistinguishable from zero." Their article can be found at http://www.unc.edu/%7ecigar/papers/FileSharing_March2004.pdf.
Twice right, eh? It may not be so bad to be a Canadian after all.

* Topic  Author  Date
Re: Canada Feds Rule Song Swapping Legal  Gene J. Koprowski  2004-04-01 11:12:58
Re: Canada Feds Rule Song Swapping Legal  Canadain  2004-04-01 14:00:10
Jump to:
Your Name: [modify]
* Subject: [edit]
Choose Icon:

Submissions containing gratuitous promotions or advertisements
will not be posted. [Message Board and Community Rules]

* Comments:

Notify me by e-mail when someone responds to my post.

Which type of online advertising is most likely to attract your favorable attention?
Straightforward display ads
Ads based on my interests
Informational articles on products/services
Video ads
Ads designed to grab my attention, e.g. pop-ups, autoplay
None -- I avoid all online ads