Attention B2B Marketers: Access 30 Million IT Decision Makers with a Custom Lead Generation Program · Click to Learn More!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
TechNewsWorld.com

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Sony's Foolish Failure to Learn From Microsoft's Mistake

Re: Sony's Foolish Failure to Learn From Microsoft's Mistake
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2017-09-25 13:06:35
See Full Story

Microsoft has learned a lot of very hard lessons over the last couple of decades, and it continues to surprise and annoy me that other firms seem to have the suicidal tendency to learn the same lessons the hard way. My view is that it is far better and cheaper to avoid the mistakes of others, but firms like Apple, Google and, most recently, Sony seem to want to cherry-pick past Microsoft disasters and experience them first hand. The latest issue has to do with interoperability and millennials.

Posted by: GNS 2017-09-27 05:09:47 In reply to: Rob Enderle
In my opinion, if consoles are going to introduce cross play then they will loose everything that made consoles as consoles. Why I should buy a console, if I can play the game on PC for instance? The answer is I shouldn't.

Posted by: jbelkin 2017-09-25 13:12:57 In reply to: Rob Enderle
You brought up a lot of issues - none of which makes any sense other than an appalling misunderstanding of anything going on - especially bringing in Apple just to show up in SEO bt having zero to do with whatever you brought and of course, wildly incorrect in adding them to this mix. You clearly don't understand the videogame industry, technology,young consumers and EU bureaucracy. Your basic assertion that MS XBox 1 is "desireable" proves all you should not be covering technology. You are also a terrible writer - making very sense in just randomly inserting random technology companies and some vague business assertions. You either should learn something about current technology or just write about topics you actually understand. In other words, you're old dude, either do historical articles on technology or get a new hobby.

Posted by: jdsax 2017-10-01 16:44:37 In reply to: jbelkin
I've never seen a flame-bot post before. Kudos to the algorithm designers. This sentence is the give away: "You are also a terrible writer - making very sense in just randomly inserting random technology companies and some vague business assertions."
Ironic, since it makes no sense.
Keep coding, you're getting close.

Posted by: Fendermatt 2017-09-25 19:01:29 In reply to: jbelkin
No need for the vitriolic response, man.

What Microsoft’s doing right:

1) Phil Spencer. The fan base loves him and he’s helped with an image makeover based on responsiveness and community-driven initiatives. His recent promotion bodes well.

2) Backward Compatability: The stats may show it’s under-utilized, but the Xbox One platform’s addition of Xbox 360 titles – and in the near future, original Xbox games – alleviates users’ concerns about having to hold on to old consoles to replay classic titles. More importantly, by ensuring future games will play on EVERY console in the Xbox One ecosystem, they avoid fragmentation in the install base.

3) Openness to cross-platform play: This may be less of a big deal as concerns play between consoles at the moment, but the “Xbox Play Anywhere” program has promise, in having a slate of titles where you buy either the Xbox One or Windows 10 version and you get the other version free, with the ability to start play on one platform and continue on the other, or the ability to play on one with players on the other (I believe Rocket League and Killer Instinct do this as far as competitive play).

There are issues of a level playing field between mouse/keyboard vs. controllers, but the bigger issue regarding cross-console play is a political one: platform-exclusive content, as seen in Bungie/Activision’s Destiny series, where there are either Sony exclusives permanently, or additionally timed-exclusive content, which would be problematic in game balancing. It would be great to have a unified player base, but it’s not happening any time soon.

4) Microsoft is doubling down on what hardcore gamers want from their next-gen consoles: graphical power, effortless online integration, and really ensuring the Xbox platform exists as the premium entertainment hub for the living room. They may have de-emphasized this aspect after dropping the ball on the initial Xbox One roll-out where they didn’t focus on games enough and jumped the gun on the public’s readiness for an all-digital future, but Microsoft really kicked Sony in the gut by including the Ultra HD 4K Blu-Ray player in the Xbox One S and the forthcoming Xbox One X. It’s a real head-scratcher as to why Sony neglected to put that in the PS4 Pro. Microsoft nabbed a ton of sales based on that feature alone, since the Xbox One S was by far the best 4K player value on the market. They actually copied Sony’s playbook, where the PlayStation 3 had helped drive the Blu-Ray platform to victory over the competing HD-DVD format, and added value to the PS3.

Sony may be the 800-pound gorilla in the market at the moment, but Nintendo’s surprise hit with the Nintendo Switch and the specter of the Xbox One X stealing their thunder has to have some Sony execs sweating bullets, if they know what’s good for them.

REMEMBER THIS: Fortunrs can ENTIRELY change within A SINGLE console generation. The Nintendo Wii hit the stratosphere in sales, only to be followed by a massive failure.

(By the way, I’m available to write for TechNewsWorld ;)
Jump to:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ RSS
How does the tech industry compare to other industries when it comes to diversity?
Tech firms have been working much harder than others to achieve diversity.
Tech is rife with sexism, racism, homophobia and other forms of discrimination.
The tech industry would be more inclusive if there were more qualified applicants.
Tech firms have made superficial efforts but they're mainly for show.
The push for diversity is a cultural fad, and there is no real problem.